Sunday, September 23, 2007


I just flew in from Kenya (and boy are my arms tired!)
Sorry. I can never resist that joke. I wanted to briefly chronicle my journey so here you are...

It went a little somethin' like this y'all:

Flight #1 - SLC to Minneapolis

What's that? You forgot to bring your ipod? No Problem! The Minneapolis airport has ipod vending machines:


"Yes I had a pesky layover and I was bored and starving so I picked up an ipod and a snickers bar"


I'm just kidding. I had brought my own snickers bar because those vending machines are so overpriced.



Flight #2 - Minneapolis to Amsterdam

Cool airport with cool architecture:


They also have a few sleeping lounges that are dead quiet. I like this airport a lot:




Flight #3 - Amsterdam to Nairobi



Flight #4 - Nairobi to Mombasa


Mombasa is on the eastern coast of Kenya - right on the Indian Ocean. I didn't know this before but it is an island. During high tide it is surrounded by water and at low tide there are locations where you could walk to it from the mainland.


So we kicked it at a somewhat nice hotel on the Nyali coast. Too bad the beach is too dangerous. There was an armed guard who stopped us from walking down there because we were carrying bags. You can't take anything down there or it will get stolen. But it's a nice white sand beach (not the nicest I've seen) and I put my feet into the Indian Ocean just to say that I have. We stayed there and bought some native clothes to wear in the village.

We rode in a van out to the village (about 2-3 hour drive). I wasn't sure exactly how long.

We arrived in the Mwagoni Village in the Vigurungani area of the Kinango District. The people are from the Duruman Tribe and speak a mixture of Duruman and Swahili. The women greeted us with hugs and kisses and then performed a dance.


During the ceremony we were given Duruman names. Mine is Jinyavu. That is what I was called the entire time in the village. There is another girl in the village with that name. Here we are - the Jinyavu's:


We stayed in the house of the village leader - Mdune. Their houses are made of sticks and mud. We brought in our own cots and mosquito nets. The mosquito net saved me from some mutant wasp attacks. (There was a wasp nest in our room)


Our Project in the village was to help the women build a boarding house for teachers. They want to run this as a business that will generate money for developmental work in the village - hopefully soon bringing water pipes to their village so they don't have to walk a kilometer to a pond with buckets to get water.
We helped dig a foundation with pick axes and shovels and also helped with some babysitting - although most women have their babies on their backs with a kanga cloth even while they are working. The babies hardly cry because they are always close to their mothers.

We also helped to make bricks out of dirt and cement. The women would get a special dirt and carry it in buckets on their heads and then we would break up the clumps, mix it with cement and a little water and put it into a press. We could make at most about 150 bricks a day.


We got them started and they'll continue to keep building and working until it's done. The rest of the time in the village we spent visiting their homes and playing with the kids.


We had a celebration ceremony the night before we left. It was similar to the welcome ceremony.


And that was the end of village life for us.




After a week of no cold beverages in the hot hot sun, I enjoyed the most delicious Coca-Cola™ I have ever tasted in my life.



stay tuned. next time: safari in the Masai Mara

Posted by Posted by Judy Neil at 9:20 PM
Categories: Labels:

 

3 comments:

Senja said...

oh so great!!! it looks amazing! :)

vfg said...

So beautiful. Africa has been a dream of mine for a long time. What was the occasion?

Judy Neil said...

hey Val,

It just felt like it was time to go to Africa. I have always wanted to go.

 
>